Monday, October 02, 2006

When Will They Learn?

So this Mark Foley Republican congressman who apparently likes to send explicit messages to his teenage interns apparently didn't get the memo. E-mails are like diamonds, they're forever.

Seriously, who doesn't know that e-mails tend to hang around forever after they're sent. They may be filed away in someone's computer, for perusal or blackmail at a later date. They may have got stuck on the e-mail server backups, or someone may just forward them to their best friend who posts them on Myspace. I would think people would realize this by now. One of the things I had heard at a company where I used to work was not to send anything in e-mail that you would be uncomfortable seeing on the evening news. Words to live by, that's for sure.

And what's the deal with these moral majority people talking dirty to teenage boys anyway? Where is the outrage now? This is same group that rallies against homosexuality and tries to pass crazy laws to keep "online predators" from our children. Talk about hypocrisy. Just once, I would like to see these guys prosecuted by the laws that they pass, to be caught up in the process like anyone else who isn't a millionaire congressman to whom the laws do not apply.

I think what surprised me the most was the fact that he actually resigned from his office and somewhat admitted that he was a scumbag. I guess resigning and blaming it all on an alcohol abuse problem (the booze made me do it) is the thing to do now, at least to deflect the attention. What surprised me even more was the fact that it came out before the elections. And I am sure at some point after the election we'll learn that others knew about it, and were "investigating" the problem or something.

I honestly hate politics anymore. These jokers keep getting elected, the process continues. I used to have hope that one day these people would be called to task for their misdeeds, but I'm afraid that just doesn't seem to be the case. Everyone will forget about it by next week and when there is another airline scare or something, so that we all can remember who is protecting us from those terrorists on election day.

No comments: