Saturday, September 30, 2006

A Thank You

I have been reflecting on the tools that have come about in recent years to allow people to express themselves to anyone. Sites such as this, video broadcasting sites like YouTube and even (gag) Myspace have opened a medium for people to communicate with a worldwide audience.

The thing that has always fascinated me is the story that people have to tell. Everyone has a story of some kind, usually interesting and touching in some way. These types of places have allowed anyone to express their thoughts, take action, and communicate with others on a global scale. I know, it sounds cheesy, but if you sit back and marvel at the technology and what it means to our world, it truly is amazing.

It was not that long ago that e-mail was a thing of only the fortunate or truly geeky. Now, anyone can have an e-mail address, the internet is avaialble just about everywhere, and to become a worldwide author is possible in a matter of minutes. This ease of use has created most of the white noise that is Myspace, but in my world, everyone gets a shot. The empowerment of people is important, regardless of the vehicle, I suppose.

While I am one who could build a system like Blogger to express my thoughts, I would be distracted by the tweaking of the system itself, and the expression of my thoughts would be secondary. It's a weakness that I have. While you probably think that my thoughts are a waste of perfectly good bytes, it has proven to be therapeutic and stimulating of my creativity. This little space has proved useful beyond belief, and I only hope that you enjoy reading it. As some of these projects that I am working on come closer to implementation, I will gladly share them in the hopes that they benefit others.

I've said it before, but never lose the wonder of the technology that surrounds us. The tools we have today are empowering unlike anything in our history. Enjoy them. Use them. Most of all, thank you to those who build, maintain and enhance these tools. You are the enablers of potential.

No comments: