Thursday, September 14, 2006

The VOIP Leap - Followup

Earlier I posted about making the switch to VOIP. Well, it has not worked out so well. Not because of technical reasons, but because of general hassle. I had selected to go with the same provider as before, Vonage. However, I had returned my VOIP unit from the previous experience to the retailer. Apparently, the special to come back only applies if you have the same unit.

Also, their special would only work if I activated new service, paid shipping for another unit and then called customer service to request a cancel of that shipment, and a credit of two months once my service was active. The biggest issue was that I know I was not talking to America, as much as "Mitch" tried to help. I kept getting disconnected, the voice quality sounded like a tin can and two strings, so finally I just gave up.

I returned the unit to the retailer and bought a phone card instead. So much for the leap. I figure all I need is one more hassle. If it's that difficult just to become a customer, who knows what will happen if I have a problem.

I may elect to go with another provider, so I may revisit this thread again.

No comments: