Thursday, August 31, 2006

Windows is easier, right?

So I remember back when I used Windows exclusively, and thinking how much more difficult it was to configure Linux to do what I wanted. I've come to the conclusion that I was completely insane. I recently had to reinstall Windows on one of our home computers and have been struggling with it for two days now. It still doesn't recognize the sound card. There is some other device that I have no idea what it even is that keeps failing to install. I created a partition, with Windows in just enough space to operate and save a file or two, the rest of the disk is Ubuntu Linux.

Total Ubuntu time, about two hours including partitioning and applying patches. All hardware was found with no issue and everything is running perfectly. Were it not for the windows only printer that we have, it would be gone for good.

Total Windows time, two days and counting. For some reason Service Pack 2 did not finish last night. Update, reboot. Update, reboot. It's like a bad dream.

I'm sure anyone who works with Windows on a regular basis knows what I'm talking about. I may not post for a few days because I will be traveling. Take care.

END RANT.

No comments: