Thursday, August 23, 2007

More on Receipt Checks

I recently complained about receipt checkers at the doors of businesses. Consumerist.com posted an article about this very topic. Reading through the comments, it is all starting to make sense why we Americans are in the situation we find ourselves. People will put up with just about anything in order to not have a hassle, and even defend illegal actions.

I applaud those who stand up to this type of thing. To many, it just seems petty and annoying to do something like this. However, when every place we visit or every action we take is second guessed and checked by a corporation or government, how can we possibly continue to believe we are free? These are scary times, indeed. I am shocked that people would defend unjust (and illegal) actions because they could have been avoided by just doing what you are told, regardless of how unreasonable, intrusive or illegal they may be.

I said I am shocked, but I am not the least bit surprised. I think that our national motto should be changed to "if you nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about."

No comments: